27w/m
66 error
So great is our passion for doing things for ourselves, that we are becoming increasingly less dependent on specialized labour. No one can plead ignorance of a subject any longer, for these are countless do-it-yourself publications. Armed with the right tools and materials, newlyweds gaily embark on the task of decorating their own homes. Men, particularly, spend hours of their leisure time installing their own fireplaces, laying out their own gardens; building garages and making furniture. Some really keen enthusiasts go so far as to build their own computers. Shops cater for the do-it-yourself craze not only by running special advisory services for novices, but by offering consumers bits and pieces which they can assemble at home. Such things provide an excellent outlet for pent up creative energy, but unfortunately not all of us are born handymen.
Some wives tend to believe that their husbands are infinitely resourceful and can fix anything. Even men who can hardly drive a nail in straight are supposed to be born electricians, carpenters, plumbers and mechanics. When lights fuse, furniture gets rickety, pipes get clogged, or vacuum cleaners fail to operate, some woman assume that their husbands will somehow put things right. The worst thing about the do-it-yourself game is that sometimes even men live under the delusion that they can do anything, even when they have repeatedly been proved wrong. It is a question of pride as much as anything else.
v. 找(借口),辩解
n. 新婚夫妇
n. 新手
n. 螺丝钉
dismantle
v. 拆卸
chunk
n. (厚)块
snap
v. 绷断
insurmountable
adj. 不能克服的,难以对付的
jigsaw
n. 线锯
nag
v. 唠叨不休
妻子常常认为她们的丈夫无比聪明能干。甚至那些连一枚钉子都钉不直的男人都被认为是天生的电工、木匠、水管工和机械师。每当电灯保险丝烧断、家具榫头松动、管道堵塞、吸尘器不动时,有些妻子认为丈夫总有办法。自己动手的例子中最糟糕的是,有时甚至是男人尽管接连失败却还误以为自己什么都行,原因就是要面子。
今年春天,妻子让我请人检查一下我家的割草机。那台割草机去年夏天就坏了,尽管我答应修,但一直没抽出时间,我不愿听妻子的建议,说我自己会修。一个星期六的下午,我把割草机拉到了花园里,仔细检查了一番。在我看来,只需稍加调整即可。这儿紧紧螺丝,那儿固定一下,再加几滴油,就会像新的一样了。事实上,修理工作远不是那么简单。修完后割草机还是纹丝不动。于是,我决定把它拆开。一会儿工夫,割草机便被拆成一个个金属零件,乱七八糟地堆在花园里。但我却非常高兴,因为我找到了毛病所在。驱动轮子的链条断了一节。我买来一根新链条后,面临的就是如何把这些令人眼花缭乱的拼板重新组装起来。等我装完后,那台割草机仍然一动不动,对此我倒并不感到吃惊。原因很简单,因为还剩下几个形状奇特的零件似乎哪里也装不上去。我无可奈何,只好罢休。几个星期过去了,草长了起来。妻子喋喋不休让我想点办法。我告诉她,要么买一台新割草机,要么让草长下去。不用说,我家现在已被丛林包围。深草丛中的某个地方有一台正在生锈的割草机,那就是我曾答应某日要修理的割草机。
It never occurred to them that a man had confined himself to one of the wooden boxes.
他们从来没想到有一个人会把自己关在其中的一个木箱里。
I prefer listening to music to reading newspapers.
我宁愿听音乐而不愿看报纸。
This car belongs to Sam. It's not mine.
这汽车是萨姆的,不是我的。
Will you see to this flower while I'm away?
我不在的时候你照看一下这花好吗?
He used to turn to me for help.
他过去常向我求助。
(2)与at连用的动词
at通常用于表达感情的一些词之后,并且这些词往往用被动语态:
Dan was both surprised and amused at the news.
这消息既使丹感到惊奇又使他感到好笑。
He was astonished at what he found.
发现的情况使他吃了一惊。
at也可以用于其他动词之后(一般为主动语态):
What are you looking at?
你在看什么?
When I arrived at the station, the train had already left.
当我到达火车站时,那列火车已开走了。
A beggar knocked at the door.
一个乞丐在敲门。
(3)与for连用的动词
I'm looking for my pen.
我在找我的钢笔。
He was searched for the stolen money.
他被搜了身,看看有没有被盗走的那笔钱。
He's already been punished for his mistake.
他已因为所犯的错误而受到了惩罚。
John paid for the dinner.
约翰付了饭钱。
Can you account for his strange behaviour?
你能解释他的古怪行为吗?
A child is calling for help.
有个孩子在大声呼救。
(4)与with连用的动词
Tom often quarrels with his brother.
汤姆经常和他兄弟吵架。
Don't play with fire!
不要玩火!
I'm pleased with this room.
我对这房间满意。
Sam used to mix with those people.
萨姆过去常与那些人交往。
We'll begin with the exercises.
我们从练习开始。